Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I think I'm going to Boston, I think I'll start a new life..

I decided to redo the music playlist, so I hope that everyone enjoys the songs on there. At this point how could I not include "Boston," by Augustana?...especially considering the parts about a girl leaving California in search of cool summers and snow! All the other songs on the list I deeply enjoy. The band Muse has become a recent favorite because I think it's amazing to hear a post-punk rock group that has been heavily influenced by one of my favorite classical composers: Sergei Rachmaninoff (see their song "Space Dementia"). The true classical pieces on the list, the pavane and the cello concerto, are both songs I've performed before with an orchestra in the past. "Cabron" and "You Only Live Once" are just some fun songs that didn't get much radio time and as for "I'm Yours".....well, that one's for Lauren. I love that girl!

Lauren actually flew to California a few days ago and won't be back until my birthday on Aug. 10th. She is there to celebrate her father's birthday as a large family get-together in New Mexico.

I have been continuing to show up at lab...still haven't really done much. Mostly I've been going through my online scientific ethics course. In the last couple days, however, plans for a project on osteosarcoma (bone cancer?) cells has emerged. The plan is I will learn how to stain different proteins and DNA inside the cells with different antibodies or tags, then take their picture with a fluorescence microscope to try and see if the proteins and the DNA are near each other or not. Not too complex, but a great way to start learning the techniques. With the presentations I've been seeing and papers I've been reading lately, it is becoming clear that scientists are expected to become ameteur photographers. Good thing I enjoy that kind of stuff.

Heres a little example:


















No comments:

Post a Comment